Friday 14 December 2012

Reads Tsana is Most Looking Forward To

I have to admit, I wasn't originally planning to do an anticipated reads list. But then someone on twitter mentioned that all the anticipated (fantasy) reads lists she'd seen were populated entirely or mostly by male authors. Since most of my favourite writers are female, obviously my most-anticipated list is going to be mostly female-authored books. And if no one else was going to make a list like that, I suppose I'd better. (And to be clear, this isn't intended to be a "women only" list, but it has turned out a mostly women list.)

Also, the list can be divided into three parts: YA, not YA and books with uncertain release dates which might not actually be in 2013, but are books that I am SUPER KEEN to read. Why should 2013 releases get to have all the fun on all the blogs? Can't we look further forwards than just one year?

Aside from those categories, the books aren't listed in any particular order.

Non-YA Books
  • Black Sun Be My Guide by Jo Spurrier, the sequel to Winter Be My Shield, which was one of my favourite books in 2012. It's due out in June 2013 from Harper Voyager AU.
  • Valley of Shields by Duncan Lay, the sequel to Bridge of Swords, which I read and (obviously) enjoyed earlier this year. It's due out in April 2013, also from Harper Voyager AU.
  • A Trifle Dead by Livia Day, the first crime book from fantasy author Tansy Rayner Roberts coming out from Twelfth Planet Press sooooon
  • The Fall of Fair Isle trilogy by Rowena Cory Daniells, being re-released by the author as ebooks, after being out of paper print for a while, coming some time in 2013. You may have noticed, I'm a big fan of her books generally.
YA Books
  •  Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The concluding volume in The Mortal Instruments trilogy (book 1, book 2), which I've enjoyed immensely. Personally, I'm predicting a tragic ending and I'm looking forward to reading how she pulls it off.
  • The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke. The concluding volume in the story begun in The Assassin's Curse. A pirate, an assassin, a curse and an incomplete story. Of course I want to know what happens in the end.
  • Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger. The first book in her new finishing school series. I've adored her Parasol Protectorate series and I'm pretty much up for anything else she feels like writing in a similar style. She also has the first book of a sequel series, Parasol Protectorate Abroad, called Prudence and Imprudence, coming out later in 2013, but I figured I should just pick one to be excited about for this list.

Non-specific Release Dates
  • Reunion by Jennifer Fallon, Rift Runners book 3 (book 2 review). I believe this has been delayed due to Earthquakes in New Zealand, and there's no definite release date yet (but maybe it will come out in 2013, we can hope).
  • Next Vorkorsigan book from Lois McMaster Bujold.
    Because they're awesome. I have no idea what or who it will be about, or when it will be released (let's hope for 2014), but I love this series and always want to read more of it.
  • Glenda Larke's next series book 1 of which is tentatively titled The Lascar's Dagger. Because she's one of my favourite authors and since her Watergivers trilogy concluded in 2011, I haven't had the chance to review any of her books here yet.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear LMB has gone back to SF. I really couldn't get into the fantasy. It was well written, I just wasn't interested. I loved Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons trilogy because it was SF posing as fantasy, but haven't read anything since. Is it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Jennifer Fallon is one of my favourites. I haven't made up my mind about her in-progress series, but if you liked Second Sons, I think you'll like Tide Lords. It's about an immortal that wants to die. I also rather liked the Hythrun Chronicles, but the very end was a bit flat because it was a prequel series to Demon Child (which itself wasn't bad per se but it shows that it was her first series). She has a tendency to write about gods or godlike figures (or the nature of religion as in Second Sons) in a very atheisty way, which I'm a big fan of.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.