Sunday 7 October 2012

#AWW2012 Fantasy and Misc Challenge, Round-up 3

The time has come when I've finished reading another ten books by Australian women writers, and so it is time for another round-up.

In this batch, I've read more new authors: Narrelle M Harris, Ambelin Kwaymullina, Maureen McCarthy and Gillian Polack and their books were all great, so I'm glad I did.

I enjoyed almost all the books in this batch, giving them 4+ star ratings. The only one which disappointed me was Keri Arthur's. You can read about my reasons in the review.

I read three book threes, two of which were final instalments in trilogies — Rogue Gadda by Nicole Murphy and The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan. The other book three was Coyote by Rhonda Roberts in what I hope will be an ongoing series (and certainly seemed that way from the ending).

I also read two book ones in trilogies: The Interrogation of Ashayla Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina and Besieged by Rowena Cory Daniells. Unfortunately, Walker Books who are publishing Ashayla Wolf don't seem to do ebooks so I suspect I'm going to have difficulties getting the rest of the series when they come out, which is unfortunate. As for the rest of Rowena's books, I'm excited to read the rest of the series in the near future. I like Solaris's strategy of releasing trilogies a book a month.

Finally, there were three standalones (not counting Showtime by Narrelle M Harris because it's a collection of short stories and sort of its own thing): Careful What You Wish For by Maureen McCarthy, The Price of Fame by RC Daniells, and Ms Cellophane by Gillian Polack. The last two in particular surprised me a bit in a good way. Both were excellent reads and quite different from what I usually read.

And I just noticed while writing the previous paragraph that I read two books by the same author, Rowena Cory (/RC) Daniells. This is the first time I've done that during the challenge for books that weren't direct sequels.

The full list with reviews and in the order I read them:
  1. Showtime by Narrelle M Harris (review)
  2. The Interrogation Ashayla Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina (review)
  3. When You Wish Upon a Rat / Careful What You Wish For by Maureen McCarthy (review)
  4. Rogue Gadda by Nicole Murphy (review)
  5. Besieged by Rowena Cory Daniells (review)
  6. Beneath a Rising Moon by Keri Arthur (review)
  7. The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan (review)
  8. The Price of Fame by RC Daniells (review)
  9. Ms Cellophane by Gillian Polack (review)
  10. Coyote by Rhonda Roberts (review)
 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.